The Many Modes of Junk Mail

Thursday, February 12, 2015


stop junk mail
Are you the person who gets the mail at your house? Do you get a lot of  junk mail? Do you ever get tired of sorting the real mail from the junk mail? Scammers are good these days. We get some mail that looks total legit until I examine it further. I get the mail at our house which is usually 75% junk and only 25% real mail. Real mail, I call it, is typically BILLS! A happy stop at the mailbox is when I can put a bill into the junk mail pile because I've already paid it! Ah, that joyful feeling!

I wish my mailbox was the only place where junk mail existed. I find myself deleting junk emails. I screen junk calls using my caller id. My iPhone seems to distinguish junk texts with a disgusted grunt. The absolute worst junk mail I can think of is a bad sermon. Consider this. You search out a church to hear the truth. You actually receive what you could have heard from any mouth on any day without any power or authority from God. The Bible says in 1 Timothy 3:7 speaking of a bishop, "Morever he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil."

How important is the mail we send out every day? VERY! Ephesians 4:29 tells us to "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." What is corrupt communication? If we are renewed in Christ Jesus, Colossians 3:8-9 instructs us what not to do, "But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds..."  God is straightforward and easy to understand.

A friend of mine, Will Linginfelter reminds us in Sunday School that "You ARE a witness for Christ, either a good one or a bad one." Ouch! I Corinthians 15:33-34 says "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. Awake to righteousness, and sin not: for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame." Ouch again!

The United States Postal Service will not deliver your mail if it doesn't have the correct postage on it. Likewise, the grace of God will not deliver your message if it doesn't have his truth in it. STOP the junk mail!

Keeping it real,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments